Springtime is like no other time of year. The warm weather and seemingly longer days beckon us outdoors and the temptation to slack off on school work may be overwhelming with the end of the school year finally in sight. If you detect spring fever in your student keep in mind that, for them, finishing the school year strong is vital. A strong finish will make them a better student overall as well as instill the important life lesson that following through on goal accomplishment brings its own rewards.
Here are a few suggestions that you can do to alleviate spring fever and help students stay encouraged and energized through the end of the school year.
- Continue to help them stay organized with school and home life as this will help them to deal with seasonal distractions and keep them focused.
- Support healthy eating and sleeping habits to ensure that they have the energy and stamina to follow through to the end.
- Encourage them to stay engaged with school work as well as school activities in a balanced way.
- Tell them how proud you are of them for all the hard work they did to get to this point and remind them that the end is near but not yet here!
- Reinforce the importance of not quitting before the job is finished – as it may lead to regrets later.
Keep your motivational intentions cheerful but consistent. Your goal is to help your student keep their school performance on par with the work they did during the rest of the year. Remember, a well deserved summer break is just around the corner. Help your student stay focused and engaged and soon you both can look back with a great sense of accomplishment and satisfaction!